Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving Blog-2010

Well, Thanksgiving Day 2010 is here. Out of curiosity, I looked at my blog from last Thanksgiving Day. It was quite interesting to see how my thoughts and realities have existed for the last last year. So, here is an update.

I wrote about a painful ailment that had bothered me for the end of last year. It turns out, I had a very large kidney stone, the size of my thumb, which had to be surgically removed. That issue was resolved successfully.

I wrote at length about a neighbor of mine who was very ill. I had thought he would not make it much longer. Well, here it is a year later, and my neighbor is doing okay. Not spectacular, mind you, but okay. I am glad. And this year he is home from the medical facility he was in last year, so I plan on hearing Alice's Restaurant again (read the blog).

At the bottom of the blog, I put my list of things to be thankful for this year. I have to admit, I was not anticipating such positive thoughts this year. I had the kidney surgery in March, and just when I thought things were going great, I had a heart attack in June, followed by a surgery to install two stents in my heart. I actually returned to the wrestling ring 6 weeks later, as my alter ego, The Manager Steak Daddy. I was feeling great.

However, things have gotten much worse in the last month. I am frustrated, aggravated, medicated, and more complicated. But when I look at last years Thanks list, I see that most of it, if not all, holds true this year also. So this year, I will give Thanks one more time.

I do notice on thing though. As each year passes, I reach a deeper understanding of what giving Thanks is all about. As each year gets harder, or more complicated, or stressful, I appreciate the strength and courage and sheer determination it takes to get up everyday and do it all over again. I am learning to enjoy the simpler things a little more, and worrying about things I can't control a little less. I guess I am mellowing a bit with age.

I thought it would be fun to reprint last year's list, and maybe even comment on it (in parentheses). Here it is:

"I am thankful that I have the ability to smile, no matter how bad things may seem.(Still good)

I am thankful that I have two jobs that give me the opportunity to help those less fortunate than myself. Seeing their lives keeps me humble.( I am down to one job, but it is still humbling)

I am thankful that my ex and I still care about each other, and still get along.(Still true)

I am thankful that I found Facebook, for it has reunited me with the people from the best part of my life.(Also true)

I am thankful I found one very special person, who is a constant inspiration to me, and who motivates me to try to be a better human being.(To be truthful, they found me. And I will be forever grateful for that.)

But mostly, I am thankful that, despite my current discomfort, I know I will get better in a while, with the proper treatment."

Ah, that last one. This year, I cannot honestly say that. I can hope it, but I cannot say it with any definitive certainty. But then I read the last sentence, and I am glad I wrote this a year ago. It is a very good thought. Even I have my moments, I guess. Here it is:

"Life is just too short, and too precious, to dwell on the negative."

I couldn't agree with myself more....

Take care my friends, and Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment