Sunday, August 11, 2013

Learning from my past, not reliving it.

Okay, so recently I joined the DDP Yoga program. This is Day 7 of the DDP Yoga program for me. That means it has outlasted about 80% of the diet/exercise programs I've ever been on. You see, I have been overweight most of my 52 years and was just repeating the same mistakes over and over. At the very least my weight gain was due to unhealthy eating habits. For 12 years of my life, I was attempting suicide via food. And I almost succeeded.

I remember the day I hit rock bottom vividly. For the first time in a couple of years I visited my primary care doctor. He put me on the office scale.It had a 350 pound capacity, and didn't even pretend to move. He told me to follow him. He led me to a back room of the building and told me to stand on a FREIGHT SCALE! I was mortified. When I saw 383 lbs (I'm 5'7") on the readout I almost collapsed. How did this happen?

I got on a diet, lost some weight, but when I was feeling a little better I slacked off. It was a vicious cycle. I would lose weight, feel better, then put the weight back on plus more. For every 50 lbs I lost I put 75 back on.Next trip to the freight scale said 410. My Dr told me if I wasn't going to try he wasn't going to waste his time with me. I was shocked at first, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized he was right. He had other patients who actually wanted his help. I apparently didn't.

That was 10 years ago. Since then I've yo-yo dieted down to the 325-335 range. I lost some weight when I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I lost some more when I was diagnosed with diabetes. I lost a little bit after my heart attack, but hit a plateau. Dieting alone wasn't working anymore. I needed to exercise. But I haven't been able to find an exercise program that a) works and b) I can do without hurting myself. Even walking a half hour a day was too painful to do everyday because of knees I have destroyed over the years. DDP Yoga solves that for me. It gets my heart rate up, gets me sweating, sends energy through my muscles but it doesn't hurt! There is NO IMPACT!

My past was bad eating habits. It was living a sedentary lifestyle. It was depression, self-pity and even suicidal thoughts. NO MORE! I am taking control of my life with the help of DDP Yoga. I have learned from my past mistakes and will not repeat them. I won't eat unhealthy foods. I won't be complacent about exercise. I won't be negative about my life and my future.I won't live in my past, I will learn from it and make my future ten times better! I will get healthy, fit and toned! Watch me.....

No comments:

Post a Comment