Last week, a legend in the world of professional wrestling passed away. Chief Jay Strongbow was 83.
I grew up watching wrestling and stared in amazement as these magicians worked their craft in the squared circle. It represented the classic struggle of good vs. evil, and the characters were often larger than life.
I learned when I was about six that I am part Indian (Native American for the PC crowd). Once I knew that, I was filled with pride every time Chief would do his war dance. Like most kids watching, I wanted to be a wrestler one day.
Fast forward forty years. The scene: the 2011 Induction ceremony of the New England Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame. I was asked by my mentor in the wrestling business to give his introduction speech. As I stepped up to the podium, I looked down at the main table. Seated there was Rick Martel, Tito Santana, and my childhood hero, the Chief himself, Jay Strongbow. I have the video of my speech. I mentioned the impact Chief had on me as a young child. At one point, the camara angle changes and you see me standing at the podium, less than five feet from my hero. It is an image I will forever cherish.
Next year will be a very special year for me. You see, I have been informed that I am being inducted into the same Hall of Fame as my mentor, many of my friends, and my childhood idol. The honor is one that I never expected, or even thought was a possibility. I am humbled and oh so ever grateful.
Thanks for reading while I reminisce.
Take care my friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment