Last year, I had the pleasure of playing in a band for about four months. I was a little hesitant at first, because I was recovering from my second heart surgery. But after having six stents placed in my heart, I was feeling good and itching to play onstage again. Thanks to The Vegas Valentinos, I had that chance.
Things went well at first. The last month though, I noticed I was getting fatigued quicker. I was starting to get light-headed onstage. One night, I nearly passed out. The other band members approached one night and said they couldn't risk having a bass player who might pass out onstage. And I agreed. I told them I was glad they said something, because I am stubborn enough to have kept going till I dropped. I had physical issues I needed to address.
After each of my previous stent placement surgeries I always felt new again. I underwent a third surgery and got my seventh and eighth stents. I started a med regimen to help my cardiac situation. I started dieting. I then convinced myself I was ready to play in a band again. I was wrong.
Kenney Black hired me to play bass in his new band. It only took me a few weeks to realize I can't handle the physical demand of being in a band any longer. The damage I have to my heart is my own fault, and now I must face the consequences of neglecting my health all of these years. As much as I love playing live in front of a crowd, I have to face the fact that I can no longer do it.
I still plan on writing, recording, and promoting my music. But I can't see myself onstage anymore. And that breaks my heart.
Here is wishing all my friends, readers, and fans of my music good health.
Take care my friends. Please.
No comments:
Post a Comment