When my kids were little, we rented the movie "The Lion King" which had a song in it I really liked- "Hakuna Matata". The lyrics were rather simple:
"Hakuna Matata"
"Hakuna Matata! What a wonderful phrase
Hakuna Matata! Ain't no passing craze
It means no worries for the rest of your days
It's our problem-free philosophy
Hakuna Matata!"
What a wonderful philosophy to have!
The sentiment has given birth to numerous sayings and cliches over the years:
"Don't sweat the small stuff"
"Don't worry about what you can't control"
"Let it be"
"Just keep groovin'"
and my favorite....
"Whatever".
I had forgotten this worry-free philosophy for a while. I began worrying about things I had no control over. The economy. World Peace. Weather. Politics. You may or may not have seen the blogs and my Facebook posts on a variety of these topics.
Well no more. You see, I got back in touch with that philosophy...Hakuna Matata. No worries. I refuse to spend hours thinking about things I cannot control.
I cannot control the economy, therefore, I will not worry about it.
I cannot control world peace, therefore, I will not worry about it.
I cannot control the weather, therefore, I will not worry about it.
I cannot control the politics, therefore, I will not worry about it.
I have witnessed firsthand what happens when someone lets things they have no control over dominate their lives. It's not pretty. And I refuse to let myself follow that path. From now on, I only concern myself with things I can control.
I can control the grades I get in college.
I can control my performance at work.
I can control my diet.
I can control my exercise habits.
I can control the way I choose to treat others.
I can control the amount of time I waste on Facebook.
Hakuna Matata. No worries. I think I can get used to this.
Take care my friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment