Thursday, January 6, 2011

An Unexpected Lesson

I am occasionally surprised at how an event in the news, with seemingly no effect on my life, somehow spurs thoughts and emotions I would never expect to experience as a result of that story. But today, one such story had a profound effect on me; Steve Buckley announced he is gay.

For those of you who don't know, Steve Buckley is a sports journalist in Boston. He has been covering sports all through New England for over thirty years. You cannot turn on a sports TV or radio show without seeing or hearing him, or at the very least hear reactions to his columns in the Boston Herald. He has even appeared on National Broadcasts. His knowledge of sports is encyclopedic. And in his column today, he came out.

Steve appears weekly on The Big O radio show on WEEI. I had to tune in today to hear what mayhem might ensue. I was deeply shocked, but not disappointed, that host Glenn Ordway and co-host du jour Rob Bradford kept a professional attitude during the show, and I was thrilled at the in-depth questions being asked, and Steve's willingness to bare his soul to the audience.

Sometimes, when I listen to an interview, a simple little throw-away line might cause the most reflection in me. That happened when Steve said he resented not being able to put himself out there to find someone special. I sat in my car stunned that Steve Buckley had just hit the proverbial nail on the head. Suddenly, my eyes were opened to answers and truths that had long eluded me.

I was raised in two different fundamentalist religions, and was always taught homosexuality is a moral sin. As I grew older, I admit that I would not hesitate to crack a gay joke with the guys, and I have been told By some folk I do a good gay voice. I never considered myself a homophobe, or a hater, but I knew it was a lifestyle I would never lead. But hey, to each his own, as long as it doesn't hurt someone else, right? But listening to Steve talk about his life, and his situation, I realized that in the final analysis, Steve the gay man and Pete the heterosexual want the exact same thing; someone special to love them.

I had found that someone a long time ago and let her get away. I still hope that I can capture that feeling again someday, but up to now my search has been for naught. But I hope someday I will find someone to love me, and treat me special. And Steve Buckley is now free to seek his special someone.

I hope Steve finds his special someone someday. There is no better feeling on Earth. I know, because I had it once. And I hope against all odds lightning may strike twice.

Thank you Steve Buckley. Thank you for making me undertand that race, gender, religion and sexual preference just don't matter because, after all is said and done, we all want the same thing- to be loved.

Take care my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment